tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat Language
Date Fri, 08 May 2009 20:08:19 GMT
Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>> From: A A [mailto:masvalesoloque@yahoo.es]
>> Subject: Re: Tomcat Language
>>
>> Checking java variables with and jsp in each tomcat, we see that
>> java.text.DateFormat.getInstance() returns mm/dd/yy in the english
>> manager and dd/mm/yy in the spanish manager.
>>
>> Any suggestion?
>
> Examine the system properties in each Tomcat instance; this can be done with JConsole,
but installing Lambda Probe makes it easier.  Compare the two sets for differences, especially
the user.country and user.language settings.

> This happened to one other user a few months ago, and was found to be caused by a webapp
setting those variables on the fly (as I recall).  Since they're global, it affected everything
in the JVM.

As I am this other user, I confirm (except that in my case the Tomcat
Manager started talking German one day, not Spanish).
As I recall, at some point we added a webapp, which was setting (for
itself basically) the user.country and user.language properties when it
was loaded.  Since you cannot really control the order in which Tomcat
loads the various webapps, it was a bit random as a result.
If you have a webapp that sets these properties, remove it temporarily,
restart Tomcat, and check if that changes the Manager language.