tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David kerber <dcker...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: Performance with many small requests
Date Fri, 08 May 2009 16:54:21 GMT
Peter Crowther wrote:
>> From: Caldarale, Charles R [mailto:Chuck.Caldarale@unisys.com]
>> Strictly speaking, that's one thread per *servlet* object; if
>> using the SingleThreadModel (let's hope not), the container
>> is allowed to create multiple instances.
>>

> Good point in the general case, but I rather suspect David would have seen very different
performance characteristics and some *very* confused output if that were the case here.

>>> They're not further places for contention to occur.
>>>
>> Depending on what else uses the criticalProcess object, that
>> may or may not be true.
>>

> Another good point.  I was assuming something that isn't necessarily true, namely that
criticalProcess was created for just that sync block.

Which, of course, is a correct assumption.

> Meh, why don't I bow out and leave Chuck to give all the good answers? ;-)

You've done great so far:  I implemented your suggestions, and it looks
like it has more than doubled my throughput!  My cpu usage for tomcat
has gone from bouncing between 0 and 1 in task manager, to a steady 2
since more threads are now actually doing work instead of waiting around
for their turn at the code, my disk writes per sec in perfmon have also
more than doubled, and the destination log file is growing much faster
as well.

Thanks a ton!!!
Dave