tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Cluster session sync question (from documentation)
Date Wed, 06 May 2009 19:19:12 GMT
Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>> From: lightbulb432 [mailto:veerukrishnan@hotmail.com]
>> Subject: RE: Cluster session sync question (from documentation)
>>
>> Request 1 goes to node 1. Am I correct in saying that as long
>> as Request 2 reaches node 2 before the session from node 1 has
>> fully replicated over, the the inconsistent session problem exists?
>
> That's my understanding - which is why the doc says to use sticky sessions.
>
>> the session that persists would be either the session from
>> node 1 or from node 2, but absolutely not both?
>
> Correct.
>
>> using what criteria would anyone decide against
>> using them? What's the tradeoff here?
>
> Potential performance imbalance is the only thing I can think of.  If one of your clients
creates a lot of requests, they'll all have to be processed on a single node, leaving the
others relatively idle.  I doubt that this is much of a concern in the real world.

I can think of another : by using sticky sessions, you are forcing the
load-balancer to keep track of which session belongs to which back-end,
and to look up this table at each request.  I could imagine that this
could get tiresome..