tomcat-users mailing list archives

From George Sexton <geor...@mhsoftware.com>
Subject Re: OT: GoDaddy Hosting and Tomcat
Date Sun, 03 May 2009 23:08:19 GMT

Evan Siegel wrote:
> This posting raises a question I've long had: What JSP-friendly hosts are to be recommended.
I did some searching and came up with a large number of helpful sites, but I'd like to poll
the list members on the matter.See the following:
> http://www.hosting-review.com/hosting-directory/top-10-lists/Top-JSP-Hosting-Companies.shtml
> I'm seriously consideringhttp://hostpapa.com/hr_offer_green.shtml
> Thank you.

Since writing my original message, I've done two ISP/Hosting deployments.

The first was to LunarPages.com. They're using an older version of
resin. Installation was pretty smooth. My only comment is the older
version of Resin they're using doesn't support welcome files that are
created via servlet mapping in the web.xml. Installing the app, was as
simple as uploading the war file. It deployed within a minute or so, and
I was going.

The second was on a Network Solutions Virtual Private Server deployment.
I tried using Plesk to deploy the WAR file, and it wasn't working.
Logging in via SSH to the root account helped me find out they were
using the GNU 1.4.2 JVM. My app is 1.5 or higher. I downloaded JDK
1.5.0_18. Because of memory restrictions, I couldn't run the JVM. Then,
I realized that the VPS only had enough memory to run one JVM. After I
killed Tomcat and the GNU JVM, I was able to start the updated JVM. Once
I updated the JVM, I was able to use Plesk to deploy the WAR file. This
went pretty well. In this case, the application is deployed as an
uncompressed WAR file. If your application can't handle this then you
might have some problems. In my case, the application generally ran
fine. I spent another hour or so fixing it so that features that
wouldn't work when running as an undeployed WAR file were disabled.

--
George Sexton
MH Software, Inc.