tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Performance with many small requests
Date Mon, 11 May 2009 13:57:05 GMT
> From: David kerber [mailto:dckerber@verizon.net]
> Subject: Re: Performance with many small requests
>
>  From what I can tell now, it looks like most of my wait time is on
> socket reads.  In the thread dump I took about 20 minutes ago, I didn't
> see any waiting on disk writes:
>
> The line listed in this one is my inputStream.read():

Waiting for the body of the request to show up.

> This one seems to be waiting on something in tomcat itself:

Waiting for the request header to show up.

If that's all you're seeing in the thread dump, then it does look like the network is sluggish,
as I think you mentioned before.  You might try running Wireshark or equivalent to monitor
the traffic and see just how long it takes for each segment of the message to be delivered
to the server.

 - Chuck