tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Martin Gainty <>
Subject RE: Headstart on "Resolving OOM-PermGen errors on webapp reload"
Date Wed, 22 Apr 2009 20:12:01 GMT

we expect free technical support 24/7/365 so bring a blackberry w/ you

are there any good primers on eden,PermGen and general heap?

Disclaimer and Confidentiality/Verzicht und Vertraulichkeitanmerkung / Note de déni et de
This message is confidential. If you should not be the intended receiver, then we ask politely
to report. Each unauthorized forwarding or manufacturing of a copy is inadmissible. This message
serves only for the exchange of information and has no legal binding effect. Due to the easy
manipulation of emails we cannot take responsibility over the the contents.
responsabilité pour le contenu fourni.

> Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 14:19:16 -0500
> Subject: RE: Headstart on "Resolving OOM-PermGen errors on webapp reload"
> > From: Christopher Schultz []
> > Subject: Re: Headstart on "Resolving OOM-PermGen errors on webapp
> > reload"
> >
> > Does that mean that, technically speaking, PermGen is allowed
> > to grow to take over the whole heap?
> No, PermGen is independent of the general heap, limited by MaxPermSize and -Xmx respectively.
 They are allocated contiguously to insure that the underlying reference marking of HotSpot
GC works properly.