tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Martin Gainty <mgai...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: Browser shows source of .jsp file. Why?
Date Sat, 25 Apr 2009 15:56:08 GMT

David

did you check your mime-mapping in your web.xml
perchance are you mapping jsp to text/plain?
is any other extension mapped to text/plain?

    <mime-mapping>
        <extension>jsp</extension>
        <mime-type>text/plain</mime-type>
    </mime-mapping>

Martin
Disclaimer and Confidentiality/Verzicht und Vertraulichkeitanmerkung / Note de déni et de
confidentialité
This message is confidential. If you should not be the intended receiver, then we ask politely
to report. Each unauthorized forwarding or manufacturing of a copy is inadmissible. This message
serves only for the exchange of information and has no legal binding effect. Due to the easy
manipulation of emails we cannot take responsibility over the the contents.
responsabilité pour le contenu fourni.

> Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 05:46:03 -0600
> From: david@rushtone.com
> To: users@tomcat.apache.org
> Subject: Re: Browser shows source of .jsp file. Why?
>
> I'm having the same problem, where markup is sometimes appearing in the browser window
instead of the rendered HTML.

> I'm using my own server (MS Windows Server 2003), with Tomcat 6.0.18 behind a reverse
proxy on Apache 2.2.11.

> When I access one of my webapps via Tomcat's port (http://myserver:8080/Construction/)
it works fine.  When I access it via the reverse proxy (http://myserver/Construction) using
Firefox 3.0.9 I see the HTML markup displayed in the browser's window.  When I access the
webapp via IE either way, it works fine.  Google Chrome produces the same results as Firefox.

> Via Live HTTP Headers, when I access through the reverse proxy I see:
>
> HTTP/1.x 200 OK
> Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 11:39:11 GMT
> Server: Apache-Coyote/1.1
> Keep-Alive: timeout=5, max=100
> Connection: Keep-Alive
> Transfer-Encoding: chunked
>
> I suspect the "Content-Type: text/plain" is a clue.  Straight to Tomcat I see:
>
> HTTP/1.x 200 OK
> Server: Apache-Coyote/1.1
> Set-Cookie: JSESSIONID=53C3EC973BB365AAF92A1EC66F03271A; Path=/Construction
> Transfer-Encoding: chunked
> Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 11:37:06 GMT
>
> No "Content-Type" produced at all.
>
> When I access it with Firefox via the Apache reverse proxy via the URL http://myserver/Construction/index.html
(which is just mapped in web.xml to the controlling servlet, and my welcome-file is index.html),
the webapp displays correctly, and the headers say: