tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Dan Armbrust <>
Subject Re: How to debug Error: listenerStart?
Date Thu, 02 Apr 2009 15:28:06 GMT
> What are you using on the command line to start Tomcat?  In particular, what is the value
of the following system properties?
> java.util.logging.manager
> java.util.logging.config.file
> The default values are org.apache.juli.ClassLoaderLogManager and ${catalina.base}/conf/,
>  - Chuck

I'm using the script that comes with tomcat, with the
following modifications.

I set JRE_HOME to the path of the JRE that I want tomcat to use.

I set JAVA_OPTS with a bunch of memory / garbage collector options.

Both of these variables are hard coded into the top of the
script.  The rest is untouched from stock.

I added an echo to the script to print the JAVA_OPTS that
is actually using:

-server -Xss250k -Xms1200m -Xmx1200m -XX:MaxPermSize=128m
-XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+UseParNewGC

The logging properties appear to match what you expect.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message