tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Leon Brouwers <le...@gx.nl>
Subject Tomcats stops on Apache restart
Date Wed, 01 Apr 2009 07:46:56 GMT
Hello,

We have a large number of tomcats (5.5.26) on serveral servers. These tomcats communicate
with a apache httpd on the same server using mod_jk (1.2.26). They all work fine until I restart
apache httpd. Then randomly and certainly not all the time a tomcat stops working. Seeing
the time the tomcat shuts down matches the time apache was restarted it seems to lead to the
conclusion that the two events are related. For that reason I have patched my tomcats to be
able so see with it's being stopped.

I have changed (source 1.2.26)
	container/catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/core/StandardService.java
On line 483 I have added a:
	Thread.dumpStack();

This gives me the following in the catalina.out during a httpd restart:

java.lang.Exception: Stack trace
        at java.lang.Thread.dumpStack(Thread.java:1158)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.stop(StandardService.java:483)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.stop(StandardServer.java:734)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.stop(Catalina.java:602)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina$CatalinaShutdownHook.run(Catalina.java:645)
Apr 1, 2009 12:05:16 AM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService stop
INFO: Stopping service WebManager
Apr 1, 2009 12:05:16 AM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper unload
INFO: Waiting for 4 instance(s) to be deallocated
Apr 1, 2009 12:05:17 AM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper unload
INFO: Waiting for 4 instance(s) to be deallocated
Apr 1, 2009 12:05:18 AM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper unload
INFO: Waiting for 4 instance(s) to be deallocated

What could be the reason the ShutdownHook is called? The apache restart happens thru a "kill
-HUP" on the apache httpd main PID. So no signals should be sent to tomcat.

With regards,

Leon

--
Leon Brouwers