tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Peter Crowther <Peter.Crowt...@melandra.com>
Subject RE: GC Problem
Date Wed, 29 Apr 2009 13:54:00 GMT
> From: S Arvind [mailto:arvindwill@gmail.com]
> Is there any good settings for GC for tomcat running in
> server with 4GB and Quad Core processor.

"As much RAM as the OS doesn't need for other purposes".  There's no straiht answer for this,
as it depends what else is running on the box.  You might try initial and maximum heap sizes
of 3 Gbytes, but that's a finger-in-the-air guess.  Try it; measure it; and adjust it if your
application spends a lot of time collecting garbage, or if the OS starts using its swap file.

> I bascially need GC parameter for
> RESOURCE HUNGRY WEB APPLICATION

I'm going to make a prediction: it doesn't matter how much RAM you allocate, you won't have
enough.  You will still run out of memory and have to restart Tomcat.  I think this, because
I think you have a memory leak in your application.

                - Peter