tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Peter Crowther <Peter.Crowt...@melandra.com>
Subject RE: JVM crash issue
Date Thu, 23 Apr 2009 06:36:46 GMT
> From: jochen [mailto:songzhou.cn@gmail.com]
> I deployed an inhouse application in Tomcat 6.0 and I
> experienced random JVM crashes for two weeks.

Are you *absolutely certain* your hardware is good?  We've had several reports of JVM crashes
on this list where the real problem is faulty hardware - usually bad RAM.  It's far more common
than most people realise.  Test by running the application on different hardware.

[...]
> Native frames: (J=compiled Java code, j=interpreted, Vv=VM
> code, C=native code)
> V  [libjvm.so+0x3678c8]
> Java frames: (J=compiled Java code, j=interpreted, Vv=VM code)
> v  ~BufferBlob::Interpreter
[...]
> java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Ljava/lang/Object;[Ljava/lang/
> Object;)Ljava/lang/Object;
> v  ~BufferBlob::Interpreter
> com.opensymphony.xwork2.DefaultActionInvocation.invoke()Ljava/
lang/String;
[...]

The code that is closest to the crash is this OpenSymphony code, which is then invoking something
by reflection when the crash happens.

Do the crashes always happen at the same point in the code?  If so, I'd ask OpenSymphony :-).
 If not, I suspect bad hardware - but you might want to analyse several crash dumps to look
for common factors.

                - Peter