tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Peter Crowther <Peter.Crowt...@melandra.com>
Subject RE: CLOSE_WAIT and what to do about it
Date Wed, 08 Apr 2009 13:11:30 GMT
> From: André Warnier [mailto:aw@ice-sa.com]
> This process is started as a daemon, with a "java" command-line.
> Is it possible to add some arguments to that command-line to "induce"
> the JVM to do a GC more often ?

http://java.sun.com/javase/technologies/hotspot/gc/gc_tuning_6.html - I don't think so, although
the RMI option under "Explicit Garbage Collection" might work.

> The same question for the related Tomcat webapp (which I suspect of
> having the same issue).  But in that case I do have to be a bit more
> careful regarding the performance impact, although this
> webapp is pretty much all that is running in this Tomcat.

That one's easy.  Add another webapp with one page.  When the page is requested, call System.GC().
 Job done!

> Relatedly, does there exist any way to force a given JVM
> process to do a
> full GC interactively, but from a Linux command-line ?

I'm not aware of one, but I'm not an expert.  I await the experts' comments with interest!

                - Peter