tomcat-users mailing list archives

From János Löbb <janos.l...@yale.edu>
Subject Re: Session Replication in Cluster
Date Fri, 03 Apr 2009 20:11:48 GMT

On Apr 3, 2009, at 3:31 PM, Roy McMorran wrote:

> Mark Thomas wrote:
>> Roy McMorran wrote:
>>
>>> Is it the expected behavior then, that the 2nd part of the session
>>> ID
>>> changes after a failover, and a new cookie is set?
>>>

>> Yes
>>

> OK, please bear with me here, I may be just showing my ignorance
> with respect to Tomcat and web applications in general, but...
>
> If the session ID changes from "ABC123.node1" to "ABC123.node2",
> then you will start a new session at the browser.
> If you are going to establish a new session anyway, why bother
> replicating the first part of the session ID at all?
>
> Thanks,
> -r
>
> --
> Roy McMorran
> Systems Administrator
> MDI Biological Laboratory
> mcmorran@mdibl.org

If You look the >>values<< created by the session earlier
with ...node1, than You will see the same values after fail over
with ...node2.  A new session would not know about them.

To verify it You can use the supplied SessionExmaple webapp.

It is like passing a baby among family members and making a snapshot.
As long as the baby the same everything is alright :)

János