tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: AW: AW: Permanent Redirect?
Date Thu, 30 Apr 2009 12:33:55 GMT
Alexander Diedler wrote:
> Sure, but I found only a solution to redirect folders on the same domain,
> but not to rewrite/redirect a complete domain with URL parameters.

At the risk of stating the obvious :
There are two different types of redirect :
- an "internal redirect" consists of just modifying the request URL, and
recycling the request internally from the beginning.
(in that case of course there is not scheme://host, because it is the
same one)

- an "external redirect" means that the server sends a 301/302 HTTP
response to the browser, telling it (in another HTTP header) "and here
is the URL that you should try instead".
(in that case it is a complete URL, http://hostname included)

Just to make sure that you read the documentation of URLrewriteFilter
properly, and did not miss something. Maybe they are named differently
in the documentation ?
It would surprise me if URLRewriteFilter did not have a way to send a
shortcut response to the browser with a redirect header.