tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jess Holle <je...@ptc.com>
Subject Re: Why we need two servers (httpd and tomcat)
Date Mon, 27 Apr 2009 22:20:38 GMT
Jess Holle wrote:
> Robin Wilson wrote:
>> For the record, my answer was neither stupid or reflexive. I simply pointed out why
someone might want 2 layers of servers (httpd and tomcat). And certainly, my rationale is
both sound and arguable at the same time.

>> As for your assertion that 2 layers of security is just complexity and not more secure
- you obviously haven't run many enterprise production systems. Security in an enterprise
system is all about 'layers' of protection. And sure, if they hack one layer - they are probably
good enough to hack the next layer. But that's where intrusion detection and a variety of
other system come into play. It's all about slowing down the advance of the attack until you
can do something about it.

>> As for performance, have you run any load testing against tomcat vs. apache - especially
on static files? Apache exceeds tomcat in performance by a large margin. When you are serving
millions of pages a day, and tens of millions of static files (images, css, js, videos, audios,
etc.), that makes a significant difference in the amount of hardware you have to throw at
the problem.

>> So you may be absolutely correct - it is not 'necessary' in a lot of cases. But in
many production - enterprise - deployments, it can be useful to have a layer of web servers
and a separately managed layer of application servers - and that same model works just fine
with Apache and Tomcat.

> I think the Tomcat folk would dispute your assertion on performance --
> in particular when Tomcat is used with native APR.
>
> That said, the biggest reason I know of for Apache fronting Tomcat is
> load balancing across Tomcats.
>
> If you have a hardware load balancer doing that, then there are lesser
> reasons, e.g.:
>
>     * there are more security plug-ins for Apache (e.g. SiteMinder and
>       the like),
>     * multi-LDAP authentication support is built into Apache,

It is my understanding that the next Tomcat release will provide
multi-LDAP authentication support, by the way.