tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier>
Subject Re: customize HTTP Status 401 error page
Date Mon, 27 Apr 2009 15:42:31 GMT
Christopher Schultz wrote:
> Chuck,
> On 4/24/2009 11:35 AM, Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>> I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish by defining an error
>> page for a 401 status; my understanding is that a 401 just triggers
>> the login dialog for the browser - there's no HTML or other data to
>> display with the status.
> If the client aborts (such as too many attempts or user chooses "cancel"
> instead of submitting credentials), the 401 page will be displayed, so
> there is some utility in defining a page for this status if HTTP Auth
> will be used.
Let's nitpick here.
If you're using IE, you may define 401 pages all you want, it's going to
show its own anyway.

(ok, unless you think of making your 401 page larger than 1024 bytes or
so, and probably also turn off its "friendly error messages" option).

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message