tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Pid...@pidster.com>
Subject Re: Browser shows source of .jsp file. Why?
Date Mon, 27 Apr 2009 13:04:30 GMT
David Rush wrote:
> I checked my web.xml, and found no mime-mapping elements at all.  I tried adding one
explicitly mapping the jsp extension to text/html, but it had no effect.  I'm still getting
HTML markup in the browser window with Firefox.

> David

Ignore that, it's a red herring, you don't need to add mime-mappings.

You say the problem occurs 'sometimes' with Firefox, can you elaborate
on which times and if there's a commonality between these requests?

The fault is usually in the AJP mapping you've configured.  Are you
using mod_jk, and if so, what is the config?

Also, try splitting your HTTP docroot and Tomcat webapps folders (a
correct mapping will mean it still works properly).  If the JSPs are in
another location than the HTTP docs, they can't be served as raw HTML,
by accident.

> Martin Gainty wrote:
>> David
>>
>> did you check your mime-mapping in your web.xml
>> perchance are you mapping jsp to text/plain?
>> is any other extension mapped to text/plain?
>>
>>     <mime-mapping>
>>         <extension>jsp</extension>
>>         <mime-type>text/plain</mime-type>
>>     </mime-mapping>
>>
>> Martin
>> Disclaimer and Confidentiality/Verzicht und Vertraulichkeitanmerkung / Note de déni
et de confidentialité
>> This message is confidential. If you should not be the intended receiver, then we
ask politely to report. Each unauthorized forwarding or manufacturing of a copy is inadmissible.
This message serves only for the exchange of information and has no legal binding effect.
Due to the easy manipulation of emails we cannot take responsibility over the the contents.
>> Diese Nachricht ist vertraulich. Sollten Sie nicht der vorgesehene Empfaenger sein,
so bitten wir hoeflich um eine Mitteilung. Jede unbefugte Weiterleitung oder Fertigung einer
entfaltet keine rechtliche Bindungswirkung. Aufgrund der leichten Manipulierbarkeit von E-Mails
koennen wir keine Haftung fuer den Inhalt uebernehmen.
>> Ce message est confidentiel et peut être privilégié. Si vous n'êtes pas le destinataire
responsabilité pour le contenu fourni.

>>> Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 05:46:03 -0600
>>> From: david@rushtone.com
>>> To: users@tomcat.apache.org
>>> Subject: Re: Browser shows source of .jsp file. Why?
>>>
>>> I'm having the same problem, where markup is sometimes appearing in the browser
window instead of the rendered HTML.

>>> I'm using my own server (MS Windows Server 2003), with Tomcat 6.0.18 behind a
reverse proxy on Apache 2.2.11.

>>> When I access one of my webapps via Tomcat's port (http://myserver:8080/Construction/)
it works fine.  When I access it via the reverse proxy (http://myserver/Construction) using
Firefox 3.0.9 I see the HTML markup displayed in the browser's window.  When I access the
webapp via IE either way, it works fine.  Google Chrome produces the same results as Firefox.

>>> Via Live HTTP Headers, when I access through the reverse proxy I see:
>>>
>>> HTTP/1.x 200 OK
>>> Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 11:39:11 GMT
>>> Server: Apache-Coyote/1.1
>>> Keep-Alive: timeout=5, max=100
>>> Connection: Keep-Alive
>>> Transfer-Encoding: chunked
>>>
>>> I suspect the "Content-Type: text/plain" is a clue.  Straight to Tomcat I see:
>>>
>>> HTTP/1.x 200 OK
>>> Server: Apache-Coyote/1.1
>>> Set-Cookie: JSESSIONID=53C3EC973BB365AAF92A1EC66F03271A; Path=/Construction
>>> Transfer-Encoding: chunked
>>> Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 11:37:06 GMT
>>>
>>> No "Content-Type" produced at all.
>>>
>>> When I access it with Firefox via the Apache reverse proxy via the URL http://myserver/Construction/index.html
(which is just mapped in web.xml to the controlling servlet, and my welcome-file is index.html),
the webapp displays correctly, and the headers say: