tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: mod_jk Problem
Date Wed, 15 Apr 2009 07:45:08 GMT
Munkhbold.B wrote:
> Hi
>

> I have a problem with tomcat connector mod_jk.
>
>>>From time to time the connector completely hangs apache.
>
> Tomcat alone is still alive, but apache no longer replies to requests, and I
> need to restart both
>

> In mod_jk logs file I have a lot of lines like
>

> [info] init_jk::mod_jk.c (3183): mod_jk/1.2.28 initialized
>
>  [info] jk_handler::mod_jk.c (2608): Aborting connection for worker=node1
>
>  [info] ajp_process_callback::jk_ajp_common.c (1788): Writing to client
> aborted or client network problems
>
>  [info] ajp_service::jk_ajp_common.c (2447): (node1) sending request to
> tomcat failed (unrecoverable), because of client write error (attempt=1)
>
>  [info] jk_handler::mod_jk.c (2608): Aborting connection for worker=node1
>
>  [info] ajp_process_callback::jk_ajp_common.c (1788): Writing to client
> aborted or client network problems
>
>  [info] ajp_service::jk_ajp_common.c (2447): (node1) sending request to
> tomcat failed (unrecoverable), because of client write error (attempt=1)
>
>  [info] jk_handler::mod_jk.c (2608): Aborting connection for worker=node1
>
>  [info] ajp_process_callback::jk_ajp_common.c (1788): Writing to client
> aborted or client network problems
>
>  [info] ajp_service::jk_ajp_common.c (2447): (node1) sending request to
> tomcat failed (unrecoverable), because of client write error (attempt=1)
>
>  [info] jk_handler::mod_jk.c (2608): Aborting connection for worker=node1
>
>  [info] ajp_process_callback::jk_ajp_common.c (1788): Writing to client
> aborted or client network problems
>
>  [info] ajp_service::jk_ajp_common.c (2447): (node1) sending request to
> tomcat failed (unrecoverable), because of client write error (attempt=1)
>
>  [info] jk_handler::mod_jk.c (2608): Aborting connection for worker=node1
>

> I'm using versions
>
> mod_jk/1.2.28
>
> Apache/2.2.8
>
> tomcat/6.0.14
>

> I googled and found this:
>
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/tomcat-users/200611.mbox/%3C456042F
> 5.4070300@kippdata.de%3E
>

> But this error still on mod_jk/1.2.28?

Hi.
If you read that response carefully (and the same subject has come up
several times on this list since then), you will see that this is not an
error in mod_jk, nor in Apache or Tomcat.
Errors like

 >  [info] ajp_process_callback::jk_ajp_common.c (1788): Writing to client
 > aborted or client network problems
 >
 >  [info] ajp_service::jk_ajp_common.c (2447): (node1) sending request to
 > tomcat failed (unrecoverable), because of client write error (attempt=1)

happen for the reason given in the response : Apache/mod_jk/Tomcat
cannot send the response to the client anymore, because basically the
client is not there anymore.
Re-read the response for more details.

Now why Apache is not responding anymore, may or may not have a
connection (sic) with these messages.
(But it is most probably not "because" of the above log messages, nor
because of a bug in mod_jk).

When Apache is in that condition, you should try to collect some
additional data, to see why it is unresponsive.

For example, try "netstat -an" (works under Windows and Linux) to check
if your server might be under some attack.  If you are under Unix/Linux,
try "top" or "ps" to see what Apache processes are doing. You could also
look at the Apache access and error logs to see if there is anything
going on. There are also several Apache modules that may help
(mod_status, mod_log_forensic,..).

Next time, also try to be a bit more specific about what you mean by
"apache no longer replies to requests".  Do you get "connection
refused", or does the browser connect and then times out after a couple
of minutes, or what error do you see ?

Also, presumably some requests should go to Tomcat via mod_jk, but maybe
some requests are being handled directly by Apache.  If so, do both
kinds of requests not work anymore ?