tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: CLOSE_WAIT and what to do about it
Date Mon, 13 Apr 2009 00:28:00 GMT
Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>> From: André Warnier [mailto:aw@ice-sa.com]
>> Subject: Re: CLOSE_WAIT and what to do about it
>>
>> Looking at that code above, it is obvious that "socket" is open, until
>> it is set to null, without previously doing a socket.close().
>> I don't know Java enough to know if this alone could cause that socket
>> to be lingering until the GC, but I kind of suspect so.
>
> For not being that familiar with Java, you've done an admirable job of tracking this
down.  What you've found certainly looks like the cause of the problem; the class you encountered
appears to be a wrapper for a plain java.net.Socket, and whoever wrote it simply missed putting
in a socket.close() call.  Perhaps this was originally developed on an older JVM with more
frequent non-generational garbage collection, so the problem wasn't noticed then.

I was standing on the shoulders of giants.
Thanks for the help.