tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Newbie Question with Apache Tomcat v6.0.18 in Windows XP SP2.
Date Tue, 07 Apr 2009 21:07:28 GMT
Phillip Pi wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 07, 2009 at 04:49:06PM -0400, Christopher Schultz wrote:
>
>>> I was asked to set up a Tomcat's proxy server in Windows (using XP SP2).
>> Question 1: What is "Tomcat's proxy server"?
>
> Apache Tomcat to act like a proxy server so other PCs, on the LAN, can
> go through it to access the Internet. Is this not a correct way to set
> up?

What you want is probably Apache httpd, not Apache Tomcat.
And in httpd, look up "forward proxy" in
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_proxy.html

> I thought Apache Tomcat already includes Apache.

That is probably what got you confused.
"Apache" is a generic name for many different software projects.
(check http://www.apache.org/, the list below "Projects").
One of them is "Apache HTTP Server" (which is generally what people mean
by "Apache" or "Apache webserver"). Another one is "Apache Tomcat" (or
"Tomcat" for short), which is a java servlet engine (container?).
They are two different things, which /can/ work together, but also
separately.