tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier>
Subject Tomcat and UTF-8, or should I say charsets ?
Date Fri, 03 Apr 2009 15:38:37 GMT

I just experienced something which somehow contains a delicious piece of
irony for those who remember the numerous discussions on this list with
topics related to the proper encoding of URLs, POST submission
parameters etc..

Having forgotten my user-id and password for the Tomcat (FAQ) Wiki, I
just re-registered. For that I scrupulously followed the instructions on
the Wiki login page, so I chose a name of the form "FirstnameLastname".
As some people here know, my first name is André.

That worked fine, and I could after that login.
Then, in order not to forget this again, I logged out, and used the Wiki
login page facility to ask for an email reminder of my id/password.
I duly received that email.
But, guess what, my name in that email appears as

Name: AndréWarnier

I guess now someone should tell us that the Wiki has nothing to do with

I write this considerably below in order not to ruin the above.
Upon further investigaton, it would seem that the confirmation email
which I received, contains a MIME header which says :

However, as can be seen above, the content is really UTF-8.

I must also say that on the Wiki page, after logging in, my name appears
correctly encoded and accentuated, and that the corresponding link is
properly represented as
<a class="nonexistent" href="/tomcat/Andr%c3%a9Warnier">AndréWarnier</a>
and that this page comes with a HTTP header :
and that the html page itself contains such a declaration :

So it would seem that the problem is not really in the Wiki itself,
which seems to do pretty much everything according to the specs. But
somehow the communication between the Wiki and the email system on
a*** does not preserve the original encoding data.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message