tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: How to debug Error: listenerStart?
Date Fri, 03 Apr 2009 09:48:29 GMT
Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>> From: Dan Armbrust [mailto:daniel.armbrust.list@gmail.com]
>> Subject: Re: How to debug Error: listenerStart?
>>
>> There is obviously some interaction going on between my webapp
>> and tomcat's logging system that I don't know about.
>
> Many Tomcat components associated with a specific webapp will use the webapp's logger.
 If your log4j initialization fails (which appeared to be the case), there may well be no
where to put the messages.  You can try removing the log4j usage from your webapp (probably
too hard), or correct its initialization so that it is available.

This is a bit, but not entirely, off-topic.
I suspect that I am going to attract (again) a lot of flak for writing
this, but I will say (again) that I think the whole current concept of
Tomcat logging has a problem, as a number of recent postings to this
list (and many non-recent) demonstrate (again).

Being able to specify, at the webapp level, which logging system it uses
is great from an application developers point of view, but a nightmare
from a system integrator's or administrator's point of view.

The point being that if one has a until-now working Tomcat server,
logging where and how the sysadmin decided it should, so that for
example it would be possible to implement some system-wide technique to
deal with accumulating logfiles, archive them, watch them.., and then
comes this new webapp delivered as a war-file. It gets deployed, and
starts logging wherever and however it pretty well pleases. Or not,
depending on whether its own setup misses something.

I believe that there should at least exist, at the very top Tomcat
level, some configuration option that could say "now, whatever all these
geeks have defined in their applications in terms of logging, I want to
collect all that output /here/, and no exceptions please."
In the principle, that is the same kind of thing as Tomcat's (or Java's)
security manager : it is possible at the top configuration level to
block applications from accessing what they should not, and give them
rights selectively to whatever is legitimate.

I don't think that the current logging implementation allows this, or am
I missing something again ?