tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Haase, Johannes | SCARUS" <j.ha...@scarus.de>
Subject Re: Profiling tomcat applications with -Xrunhprof (Tomcat runs asa Windows Service)
Date Wed, 01 Apr 2009 06:46:49 GMT

Caldarale, Charles R schrieb:
>> From: Caldarale, Charles R
>> Subject: RE: Profiling tomcat applications with -Xrunhprof (Tomcat runs
>> asa Windows Service)
>>
>> What might work is using JVisualVM instead and just looking at the
>> information in the GUI.
>>

> I did get JVisualVM to work with Tomcat running as a service, but I don't think you're
going to like it (to paraphrase Douglas Adams).

> First, the Tomcat service needs to be running under the same Windows account that JVisualVM
is started with; JVisualVM cannot find the PID otherwise, and heap profiling doesn't seem
to be available through JMX ports (or maybe I just don't know how to configure it).

> Second, you'll need to run Tomcat under JRE/JDK 1.6.  JVisualVM can access Tomcat running
under a 1.5 JRE, but heap profiling won't be available.

> So, the easiest thing may well be to just run Tomcat from the command prompt for the
duration of the profiling effort.  Since heap profiling has a significant performance impact,
you wouldn't want it on very long anyhow.

>  - Chuck

Hello Chuck!

Thanks for clarification.
How can I start the tomcat 5.5 that was installed and intended to run as
a service via console?

Thanks a lot!
Johannes

Johannes Haase

SCARUS GmbH & Co. KG
E3, 13
68159 Mannheim

Tel.: +49-(0)621-761926-11
Fax: +49-(0)621-761926-59
Mobile: +49-(0)151-56314777

www.scarus.de <http://www.scarus.de/>

USt.-ID DE 237062963 * Amtsgericht Ludwigshafen HRA 3884
Geschäftsführer: Matthias Ulrich & Christoph Kurek

Diese E-Mail kann Betriebs- oder Geschäftsgeheimnisse oder sonstige
vertrauliche Informationen enthalten. Sollten Sie diese E-Mail
irrtümlich erhalten haben, ist Ihnen eine Kenntnisnahme des Inhalts,
eine Vervielfältigung oder Weitergabe ausdrücklich untersagt. Bitte
benachrichtigen Sie uns und vernichten Sie die empfangene E-Mail. Vielen
Dank.

This e-mail may contain trade secrets or privileged, undisclosed or
otherwise confidential information. If you have received this e-mail in
error, you are hereby notified that any review, copying or distribution
of it is strictly prohibited. Please inform us immediately and destroy
the original transmittal. Thank you for your cooperation.