tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: HTTP Connector GZIP compression
Date Sun, 05 Apr 2009 18:55:01 GMT
> From: Michael [mailto:sgfan@gmx.net]
> Subject: Re: HTTP Connector GZIP compression
>
> What is the rationale for? Is there a good reason to
> compress anyway?

The size is unknown until the last chunk is generated, so no threshold can be applied.  Since
chunked encoding usually involves larger outputs, the appropriate thing to do is compress.

> Checked, the server.xml remains the same. I did not alter
> It except the invalid attribute. The same happens for CSS too.

Did you restart Tomcat after making the change?  Are you sure you're actually using the server.xml
you think you are?

> The simple reason is that I have disabled compression
> completely and the uncompressed size is 72 726 bytes.

No, that's the size of the .jsp file - that has little relevance to the size of the generated
HTML.

 - Chuck