tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: How to debug Error: listenerStart?
Date Sun, 05 Apr 2009 02:08:55 GMT
> From: Dan Armbrust [mailto:daniel.armbrust.list@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: How to debug Error: listenerStart?
>
> Perhaps it is behaving different on Tomcat 6.  I didn't try 6, only
> the latest 5.5, since that's what I'm using in production.

Sorry, I didn't realize this was only a 5.5 issue.  I did try it again on 5.5.27, and verified
your findings.

> Also, your stack trace is showing that it was indeed, logged by
> tomcat's loggers.  Did you try renaming the log4j.properties.hidden
> file that I provided?

Just tried it again on 6.0.18 with the unhidden log4j.properties, and there was no difference.
 Also, with the original, untouched a.war, there were no messages about log4j initialization
problems.  So under 6.0, it appears that Tomcat is *not* trying to use your log4j.

> I contend that it should never be printed by log4j, since that is
> within the webapp which is failing - and tomcat can't know that log4j
> has been configured.  But yet, on my system, that is exactly what is
> happening.

I think I figured out what's going on.  Tomcat 5.5 uses an unmodified LogFactory from commons-logging,
which pokes around for logging mechanisms - and finds your log4j.jar inside your webapp.
Tomcat 6.0, on the other hand, uses a modified LogFactory, which is hard-coded to use an enhanced
version of java.util.logging, so it never looks for your log4j.  Looks like Tomcat 6 implements
what you're looking for, so you might want to consider moving up.

> I'm also still looking into a (possibly?) related issue
> that I have where log4j in every webapp deployed beyond
> the first fails to auto-configure.

I suspect it is related.  Since commons-logging is loaded by the system classloader, I'm wondering
if it may be hanging onto data from the first log4j.properties it finds (since there's no
global log4j) rather than looking for one for each webapp.  Again, this doesn't appear to
be an issue in 6.0.

 - Chuck