tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: ROOT options
Date Fri, 03 Apr 2009 03:34:39 GMT
> From: Ken Bowen [mailto:kbowen@als.com]
> Subject: ROOT options
>
> I'm wondering if I could get some pointers to reading about
> what these options are.

You can place a <Context> element in server.xml, but that is strongly discouraged these
days, and we will likely yell at you if you do so.

You can also specify the default webapp by creating the file conf/Catalina/[host]/ROOT.xml
that contains a <Context> element with a docBase attribute that points to a location
*outside* of the <Host> appBase directory.  You must also remove any ROOT.war file or
ROOT directory from the <Host> appBase.  If you want to have the name of your .war file
be different from the webapp name, this is the way to do it.

Documentation is here:
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/config/index.html

 - Chuck