tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: And even further into the black magic of logging configuration within tomcat...
Date Fri, 03 Apr 2009 02:55:53 GMT
> From: Dan Armbrust [mailto:daniel.armbrust.list@gmail.com]
> Subject: And even further into the black magic of logging configuration
> within tomcat...
>
> So, why didn't log4j try to find the log4j.properties
> file for the second webapp?

Verify that you have separate log4j.properties files in the WEB-INF/classes directories of
each webapp, and that there's not a permissions problem with them being accessed by whatever
userid Tomcat is running under.

> There is definitely a bug here, but I don't know if the
> bug is in Tomcat or in Log4j.

Where is your log4j.jar located?  You should have separate ones in each webapp's WEB-INF/lib
directory; if you place log4j.jar in Tomcat's lib directory - or anywhere the common, system,
or bootstrap class loaders could find it - you may well end up with the symptoms you're observing.
 You could try -verbose:class to see where classes are being loaded from, if you want to wade
through a whole lot of output.

 - Chuck