tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: [OT] Tomcat error: It is not available the ServletAction
Date Thu, 02 Apr 2009 19:27:40 GMT
> From: Christopher Schultz [mailto:chris@christopherschultz.net]
> Subject: Re: Tomcat error: It is not available the ServletAction
>
> I think the reason Xerces works within the application's ClassLoader is
> because of the backward way that webapp ClassLoaders work (load local
> before parent).

If you don't mind pursuing this a bit more, I still have some concerns about how this can
work reliably.  Let's focus on the xml-apis.jar for now, which contains numerous classes that
are also in the 1.5 and newer JREs.  It would seem that if a webapp had its own copy of xml-apis.jar,
it would load some javax.xml.* classes from there, while references in Tomcat's lib directory
(including any shared jars used by multiple webapps) would resolve those classes from rt.jar.
 Constructs like instanceof would fail, since they have different classloaders.

Does this just work by luck?

 - Chuck