tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: How to debug Error: listenerStart?
Date Thu, 02 Apr 2009 19:03:33 GMT
> From: Dan Armbrust [mailto:daniel.armbrust.list@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: How to debug Error: listenerStart?
>
> my webapp dynamically configures log4j with a pattern like this:
>
> LogManager.resetConfiguration();
> PropertyConfigurator.configure(properties);

I think that's too late - the logger needs to be ready first thing so that webapp-related
log entries can be created during deployment.

> INFO: Deploying web application archive ap.war
> (org.apache.commons.digester.Digester).

Those are indications that usage of the logger has already commenced.

> So it would appear that something within my webapp tried to
> log using log4j

I suspect it was Tomcat code using your logger, not your webapp code.

> What would I need to do to make log4j within my webapp
> have a temporary configuration which would log to the
> console until the point when my webapp executes it's
> dynamic configuration?

Create a log4j.xml or log4j.properties file in WEB-INF/classes.

 - Chuck