tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Connection Pooling questions
Date Wed, 01 Apr 2009 21:15:49 GMT
> From: Christopher Schultz [mailto:chris@christopherschultz.net]
> Subject: Re: Connection Pooling questions
>
> Actually, I can't think of a reason why you'd have to use the unwrapped
> version of the statement or result set (or even connection) to perform
> state management (i.e. calling close()).

Not for state management, but some drivers (Oracle, as usual) have operations that aren't
supported by the wrapper.  The risk is the webapp code inadvertently using the real connection
object rather than the wrapper when calling close(); might be some time before that were discovered,
especially if all the defensive mechanisms available in commons-dbcp are employed.

 - Chuck