tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Profiling tomcat applications with -Xrunhprof (Tomcat runs asa Windows Service)
Date Wed, 01 Apr 2009 14:23:19 GMT
> From: Haase, Johannes | SCARUS [mailto:j.haase@scarus.de]
> Subject: Re: Profiling tomcat applications with -Xrunhprof (Tomcat runs
> asa Windows Service)
>
> How can I start the tomcat 5.5 that was installed and intended
> to run as a service via console?

Look in Tomcat's bin directory; if you have startup.bat and shutdown.bat scripts, use those.
 If you don't have them, download the .zip package of Tomcat, expand it, and copy all the
bin/*.bat files into your existing bin directory.  (The .exe package omits the scripts, for
inexplicable reasons.)

Once that's done, open up a command prompt window, set JAVA_HOME to your JDK location (or
JRE_HOME to your JRE), set CATALINA_OPTS to whatever JVM command-line parameters you need,
and run startup.bat.  Note that none of your config settings from tomcat5w.exe are used automatically;
you have to supply them via CATALINA_OPTS, including heap sizes.  The Tomcat process will
start in a separate window.  Use shutdown.bat from the original commmand prompt window to
terminate it.

 - Chuck