tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jonathan Mast <jhmast.develo...@gmail.com>
Subject [OT] Using jsp/serlvets to track clicking
Date Mon, 02 Mar 2009 20:22:56 GMT
[Sorry for this non-Tomcat specific question, but Sun Forums didn't help me
much with this one]

I would like to know how to imitate the click of link in JSP or serlvet, in
order to track clicks.

I have pages with links containing tel protocol URIs like this:
Click <a href="tel:5555555555">here</a> to listen!

I want to replace the above with something like this:
Click <a href="call_tracking.jsp?pn=5555555555">here</a> to listen!

And have call_tracking.jsp do its tracking stuff and then spawn a phone
call, just like the first example does. I do not want to bother the user
with another page, hence the need to accomplish the click action
programmatically. I presume this feat is achievable via Response header
magic, I just don't know the right incantation ;-)

I should add that this is not necessarily a TEL-specific question, I am
looking for a generic, protocol-independent mechanism for mimicking a
"click".

Thanks