tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Bill Barker" <wbar...@wilshire.com>
Subject Re: WEB-INF/classes vs WEB-INF/lib/classes.jar file
Date Thu, 05 Feb 2009 09:44:07 GMT
ignoring the maven fanatics, Tomcat's classloader searches  the
WEB-INF/classes directory before the WEB-INF/lib/*.jar.  This means that it
is sometimes nice to use WEB-INF/classes for a development server.  But for
a production server you won't see much difference.

<epicwinter@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Is there any advantage why I should not just jar all my class files and put
them in WEB-INF/lib rather than exploding the jar file to the classes
directory?

I like developing with the classes and I understand it is nice to let tomcat
deploy a .war file but it also creates some problems for me because i deploy
to multiple production servers with different settings that get overwritten
every time my war file is expanded.