tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Gregor Schneider <>
Subject Re: HelloWorld and NoClassDefFoundError
Date Mon, 09 Feb 2009 15:10:45 GMT
Hm, this answer has been given quite a few times recently - I guess it
makes sens to put it on the FAQ:

On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 3:49 PM, Caldarale, Charles R
<> wrote:
> Indicative of a broken Tomcat installation, which is pretty typical with these 3rd-party
repackaged versions.  I strongly suggest you throw away that junk and install a real Tomcat
from; this mailing list is littered with problem reports from attempted
use of non-standard Tomcat installations.  If you insist on using the package from Debian,
you'll need to consult whatever Debian support mechanisms there are.
>> I expected tomcat to have servlet-api.jar
>> available in its classpath somehow
> A real Tomcat installation does not have this problem.
>> 1) Is it necessary to copy servlet-api.jar to the
>> WEB-INF/lib directory of every web application that
>> i have?
> Not only is it not necessary, it is not allowed.
just because your paranoid, doesn't mean they're not after you...
gpgp-fp: 79A84FA526807026795E4209D3B3FE028B3170B2
gpgp-key available @

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message