tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Hubert de Heer" <>
Subject RE: mod_jk 1.2.27 strange default reply_timeout
Date Mon, 02 Feb 2009 21:44:53 GMT

Thanks for the quick answer.
So the main difference between socket_timeout and socket_connect_timeout is that the later
only affects the connect phase.
I rolled back to mod_jk 1.2.26 but will try 1.2.27 with socket_connect_timeout tomorrow.
Any advice on whether I should forget about the socket_timeout or not? What would be recommendable
for a production environment?

PS we're running RHEL ES 4 lastest update.

-----Original Message-----
From: Mladen Turk []
Sent: Mon 02/02/2009 6:16 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: mod_jk 1.2.27 strange default reply_timeout
Hubert de Heer wrote:
> Hi,
> worker.host_1.socket_timeout=15

This is the root of the problem
cause it imposes the timeout on any socket operation
between mod_jk and tomcat.

> What we notice is that Apache will respond with an error 502 Bad Gateway
> when a response takes more than 30sec.

socket_timeout x 2 (one op and one retry)

> This seems quite strange as without a reply_timeout set I would expect
> the reply_timeout to default to 0 (timeout disabled).

This is to have infinite socket_timeout and
still have reply timeout.

Note that socket_timeout is fixed with 1.2.27, so
it actually works now ;)

With 1.2.27 you have a new
socket_connect_timeout property that you can set
to a lower value (see the changelog and docs)