tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "epicwinter@hotmail.com" <epicwin...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: running tomcat with root user.....umask in jsvc?
Date Mon, 02 Feb 2009 19:24:16 GMT

You are correct, I found a setting that relaxes the group access permissions on the jailkit.

Now I just have one more problem.  When tomcat creates files in these user directories I need
the permissions to be set appropriately.  What is the best way to set the umask value when
running tomcat using jsvc?

> Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2009 21:58:11 -0800
> From: rusty.wright@gmail.com
> To: users@tomcat.apache.org
> Subject: Re: running tomcat with root user
>
> Are you sure about the group write permissions?  I glanced at the jailkit web page and
it looks like it's sugar coating and chrome around a chroot.  So I would think that using
unix groups would work.  And on the flip side, if unix groups don't work, it seems to me that
ACLs wouldn't either.

> epicwinter@hotmail.com wrote:
> > I have the latest tomcat 6 installed under centos 5.2.  The problem I am having
is that it appears that I have to run tomcat as root user, because the spring app that tomcat
starts needs to write files to other users' home directories.  The tomcat user doesn't have
access to these directories.

> > I tried making these users part of a shared group, but to complicate the problem
the users are jailed using jailkit.  So it doesn't appear that jailkit lets me add group write
privileges to the home directories and maintain a working jail.

> > Can anyone suggest another alternative?  I am not linux user expert so maybe there
is an obvious solution i am missing?