tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Martin Gainty <mgai...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: Hello
Date Fri, 13 Feb 2009 15:28:49 GMT

anyone coming aboard sonny crockett's boat would meet Security Chief Elvis..elvis was an alligator
Topic: does TC work with <Intel64/Itanium> or should we be invoking TC64 Bit in 'Windows
Compatibility Mode' aka32bit
?
Thanks
Martin
Disclaimer and confidentiality note
within this transmission.

> From: Chuck.Caldarale@unisys.com
> To: users@tomcat.apache.org
> Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 08:55:16 -0600
> Subject: RE: Hello
>
> > From: André Warnier [mailto:aw@ice-sa.com]
> > Subject: Re: Hello
> >
> > I understand that, but how would a newbie understand this ?
>
> Read the mailing list?
>
> > I didn't know that. But who (other than an expert) would
> > know that, looking at those links alone ?
>
> Actually, Intel seems to have deliberately added to the confusion, since they recently
renamed the current 64-bit architecture to "Intel 64" (even though AMD invented it).  This
is exceedingly close to their older, Really Bad Idea architecture IA64, aka Itanium.  Other
synonyms for AMD64 include x86-64 (the original AMD name for it), x64, EM64T, and IA32e (the
latter two names are from Intel).

> Who could possibly be confused?  :-(
>
> > I posted another message a couple of days ago that
> > asked why these 64-bit versions of tomcat.exe and
> > tomcatw.exe were not just included in the zip version.
> > Any idea of the reason ?
>
> I'm not privy to the thought processes behind the packaging of the .exe and .zip downloads,
but I don't like it, whatever it was.  I think all bits and pieces should be in all the packages.
 The .exe installer could be made smart enough to detect the platform and JVM it's running
on, and choose the 32- or 64-bit service wrapper as appropriate.  The service.bat script would
probably have to use a command line option to select 32- or 64-bit, but that's way better
than the current state of affairs.  Finding the 64-bit versions right now is a lot like Arthur
Dent's run-in with the planning commission:

> "It was on display on the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory
with a sign on the door saying 'Beware of the Leopard'."