tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Jorge Medina" <jmed...@e-dialog.com>
Subject RE: Problem with mod_jk and Tomcat Native Connectors on Solaris
Date Fri, 06 Feb 2009 17:00:42 GMT
Hallo Rainer!
  Danke für dein Hilfe.

  I will follow your recommendation on upgrading, and I will need to learn how to configure
a more verbose log and interpret them.

  I found out the following:

	- My client code (a java Axis2 client) had a timeout (I found it was 30 sec, I was under
the assumption the default was 60s). When the client timeoust I would get a message "Read
timed out"
	- The above timeout was too short, the client would timeout before Apache (mod_jk) had a
chance to retry the request to Tomcat.

   I played with both timeouts, making sure the client timeout was always larger than the
mod_jk reply_timeout for at least a factor of 2.
   This works pefectly in RedHat, but not in Solaris 10 (I tried sparc and x86, both compiled
in 64-bit)

   In Solaris, I think the Tomcat Native library just loses some requests. No matter how I
configured the timeouts and retries, I always get some sporadic "504 Gateway timeout". Disabling
the Tomcat Native library and keeping everything in mod_jk the same works fine. So, for now
I just disabled the Tomcat Native Library.

   Thanks again for your response.

-Jorge