tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Stephen Winnall <st...@winnall.ch>
Subject Re: WebdavServlet + custom DirContext = unexpected behaviour
Date Fri, 13 Feb 2009 12:33:50 GMT
Thanks for your feedback.

On 13 Feb 2009, at 05:04, Caldarale, Charles R wrote:

>> From: Stephen Winnall [mailto:steve@winnall.ch]
>> Subject: WebdavServlet + custom DirContext = unexpected behaviour
>>
>> My Tomcat is as installed by NetBeans 6.5, that is
>> with a separate CATALINA_HOME and CATALINA_BASE.
>
> I'd strongly recommend that you first learn how to run Tomcat
> directly, outside of any IDE, before muddying the picture with an
> extra layer of obfuscation.  Problem solving will be much simpler.

Fair comment. So I have now installed Tomcat 6.0.18 from scratch.

>> I modified $CATALINA_BASE/conf/catalina.properties to make
>> common.loader look also in $CATALINA_BASE/common/lib and I
>> put DBDirContext and supporting cast into there.
>
> Now you've already gone off the deep end; that's not something you
> should have to (or want to) do.  By default, there is no common/lib
> in Tomcat 6.0, and you don't need to resurrect the past.  Any jars
> or classes Tomcat needs access to should be in Tomcat's lib
> directory, nowhere else.  If you provide a replacement for the
> default <Resources> handler, it must go into Tomcat's lib directory,
> since it's used by Tomcat, not the webapp.

I did originally put everything into $CATALINA_HOME/lib. However, I
like to keep my stuff separate from the base product, which is why I
had created a separate folder.

However, with my new installation I put DBDirContext and friends into
$CATALINA_HOME/lib as you suggest.

When I started up the new installation, I got exactly the same
behaviour as before.

>> The Tomcat documentation suggests that changing the
>> <Resources .../> to something other than the filesystem
>> results in Tomcat not being able to read files it needs:
>
> Not true - it says the *webapp* won't be able to access the file
> system; it says nothing about Tomcat's ability to do so.

Thanks, that has cleared up an uncertainty for me.

>> do I have to make a hybrid DBDirContext that gets the
>> files Tomcat needs from the filesystem and the data I
>> want from the database?
>
> I don't think so.  Start over with a clean Tomat install (not the
> one bundled with the IDE) and go from there.

Done that and there's no change in behaviour. When I switch on the
<Resources> handler, the OPTIONS request is apparently handled out of
HttpServlet; when I switch it off, it is handled out of WebdavServlet.

Steve