tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Dave Pawson <dave.paw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Simple Tomcat 6, servlet tutorial. First draft for comment
Date Sun, 08 Feb 2009 16:14:52 GMT
2009/2/8 Caldarale, Charles R <Chuck.Caldarale@unisys.com>:

> Looks pretty good.  Some nits to pick:
np

> Under "Compile the restlet example code", you include catalina.jar and tomcat-juli.jar;
neither of these should be necessary to compile a servlet.  If they are necessary, there's
something wrong with the servlet, since it's making use of Tomcat internals.

It's an outstanding question with restlets author. Compile errors without it?
TBC.  Remember it's a restlet... rather than a servlet?

> The directory structure created in "Tell Tomcat about our servlet" appears in the section
above; looks like something's out of order or at least misplaced here.

Done. Tks

> I would not include the comment about valves within the <Context> element; it will
only provoke questions and confusion from the uninitiated.

<grin/> Yep.

> Under "Add the jars", you use the phrase "unpack the following jars"; that could be construed
as taking those jars apart to get the individual class files.  Perhaps something like "extract
the following jars from the zip file:"

Clearer. Thanks.

regards

--