tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Dave Pawson <dave.paw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Error, source unknown
Date Tue, 03 Feb 2009 15:38:02 GMT
2009/2/3 Gregor Schneider <rc46fi@googlemail.com>:
> Dave,
>
> On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 2:38 PM, Dave Pawson <dave.pawson@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> [root@marge apps]# netstat -lnp | grep 8080
>> tcp        0      0 :::8080                     :::*
>>     LISTEN      4014/java
>>
>> (Not very informative.... ?)
>>

> informative enough:
>
> "ps -lf 4041" gives you a bit more of information about the process.

The process is 'named' jsvc, rather than tomcat.

> since it's a java-process, I'd bet my bottom-penny that Tomcat is
> already running.
> Further bet: You tried to shut down Tomcat, but shutdown failed for
> whatever reasons.

'cos I was messing about with the startup and shutdown scripts using jsvc.

> Aftert hat: Check the log-files what went wrong when shutting down
> Tomcat (Rights? Maybe you tried to start Tomcat as root?)
>
> Hope that gives you a start

I'm messing about trying to get TC set up (failing nicely), so I did it
the hard way. Three finger salute. Without those errors
it comes up properly again!

One step back, another forwards now :-)

Thanks to both

regards