tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Peter Crowther <Peter.Crowt...@melandra.com>
Subject RE: very slow class loading on initial JSP/servlet request after restart
Date Fri, 20 Feb 2009 13:03:22 GMT
> From: André Warnier [mailto:aw@ice-sa.com]
> >> From: Sam Hokin [mailto:sam@ims.net]
> >> The server that's being a problem is a Dell PowerEdge
> >> 1950, quad dual core.

> Since we have 4 processors here (do we, really? I am not so familiar
> with the multi-core architecture), can each of these processors be
> running a thread of these apps/classes, where on a single processor
> there would be only one thread running ?

Quad dual-core*.  That's 4 silicon dies, each with two copies of "the core of" a CPU.  So
(4 * 2) = 8 separate instruction execution units, 8 program counters, executing up to 8 instruction
streams in parallel.

The cores on one die share some infrastructure like cache and memory access, but the interesting
feature here is that this machine can run 8 threads concurrently.

                - Peter

* Says the original poster.  Looking at the Dell site, I reckon it's actually dual quad-core
- so two dies, 4 cores per die.  Still 8 concurrent threads, though.