tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Peter Crowther <Peter.Crowt...@melandra.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat unexpectedly shuts down
Date Thu, 12 Feb 2009 15:14:02 GMT
> From: Adlane ACHAB [mailto:adlane.achab@gmail.com]
> Tomcat VersionJVM VersionJVM VendorOS NameOS VersionOS
> ArchitectureApache
> Tomcat/6.0.181.6.0-b105Sun Microsystems Inc.Linux2.6.23.12i386
>

> Essentially what happens is this:
>
> The server is running along fine, and then all of a sudden,
> for no apparent
> reason that we can find, the server shuts down. The timing
> does not seem to
> coincide with any stack trace.
>
> Just Tomcat service terminated unexpectedly.

http://linux-mm.org/OOM_Killer ?  The JVM is often the largest user of memory on the system,
and hence the first victim when the killer has to run.

Note the line in there "Finally the accumulated score is bitshifted by the user-settable value
of /proc/<pid>/oomadj" - if it *is* the OOM killer, you can at least cause it not to
kill Tomcat but to choose some other victim :-).

                - Peter