tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject classloaders ?
Date Fri, 27 Feb 2009 17:56:26 GMT
Hi.

I am a superficial browser on this list and tend not to delve to deep
into Java intricacies.  But when a term consistently shows up which I do
not understand, I try to at least learn enough about it to be able to
reassure my customers.

Classloader is now such a term.

I gather it is something that the JVM calls when it's missing a class,
to go hunt it down along a logic all its own, and kind of bring it into
service. I also gather that it's rather bad to get one's classloader
confused by setting CLASSPATHs and the like. And I gather that you can
either have your very own, or rely on Tomcat (?) to provide a standard
one.  I haven't a clue however if this is something Tomcat-specific,
Java-generic, or in-between.

Since I doubt that the above is all there is to say about it, could
someone thus be as kind as to point me to an explanation/tutorial about
classloaders ?