tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Sam Hokin <...@ims.net>
Subject Re: very slow class loading on initial JSP/servlet request after restart
Date Thu, 26 Feb 2009 16:31:15 GMT
Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
> Once you have your test Tomcat set up on the problematic server, try adding this line
to the conf/logging.properties file:

> org.apache.jasper.level = ALL
>
> That will display a *lot* of information about what's going on during JSP compilation.
 One thing in particular printed out during Tomcat initialization is the compiler classpath
for JSPs in each webapp, which might show why the lookups are being done at the root of the
file system.

OK, done.  I started up my test instance, ran a single request on my test JSP, and shut it
down.  The resulting
catalina.out is here for your review:

http://ims.net/media/jasper-level-all.txt

Sure enough, / appears in the classpath for the ROOT webapp, right here:

[stuff]:/usr/local/lib/jtds-1.2.2.jar:/:/usr/local/tomcat-2/bin/bootstrap.jar:[other stuff]

/ is appended after a jar that I have symlinked under $TOMCAT_HOME/lib and before bootstrap.jar.

So, SINCE my company is ims.net and my Java packages start with net.ims; and SINCE I had autofs
running which
automounted /net; and SINCE / is in the classpath, JDT searched under /net to find core classes,
which incurred a very
long delay, presumably due to automount.  If autofs is off and /net is simply an empty directory,
the delay is not
incurred.  My problem is cured by simply turning off autofs.

It seems to me that it's a bug that / is being appended to the classpath, but one that didn't
result in pain until the
particular circumstance above came into play, clearly a VERY specific scenario.

THANKS, EVERYONE! I think we've solved this riddle! I owe you all beers, or your beverage
of choice!