tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Sam Hokin <...@ims.net>
Subject Re: very slow class loading on initial JSP/servlet request after restart
Date Thu, 26 Feb 2009 15:59:10 GMT
Sam Hokin wrote:
> Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>>
>> I'll poke around in the webapp classloader to see if I can find
>> anything interesting, but in the meantime, is there a /net directory
>> on the problematic server?  If there is and it targets a remote file
>> system, that might explain the long delay on these stat() calls.
>
> You DA MAN, Charles! It exists, owned by root, created when the machine
> was last booted, is empty and is currently locked.  One of the other,
> non-problematic, servers has a similar empty /net directory; the other
> doesn't.

AND, I should add, the other two servers were NOT running autofs.  In fact, autofs wasn't
even installed on one of the
other servers.  So on the non-problematic server with a /net directory, it's just an empty
directory.  I'm totally
convinced that autofs was causing the 3-second delays on stat64 /net/* calls.

So the answer to our old question "what's different about the problematic server?" is "it's
running autofs, which is
creating and locking /net".  (I've now uninstalled autofs on all servers.)