tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: very slow class loading on initial JSP/servlet request after restart
Date Wed, 25 Feb 2009 17:38:26 GMT
Mark Thomas wrote:
> Sam Hokin wrote:
>> Mark Thomas wrote:
>>> Sam Hokin wrote:
[...]

> My thinking is if we can reduce the scope of the problem to importing a
> single class, we can then separate out that class and reduce the code in
> it bit by bit until we have the bare minimum that causes the problem.
> Hopefully, there will be little enough code left that it will be obvious.

Which is basically what I suggested a few posts back, after trying to
summarise the problem again.  My posts are not always about reindeers or
chocolate.
Sam, because there is quite a bit of traffic on this issue, and because
the exact description seems to change a bit over time (e.g.
compilation-only or not), could you remake a summary of what you are
sure of so far ?
Without totally excluding it for instance, I would surmise that it is
unlikely to be a disk-related problem, because copying the complete
webapp somewhere else does not change the issue.
About the File.exists() issue and what it is checking, isn't a tool like
"lsof" a possible way to find out ? It can show all I/O like resources
used by a given process, be they sockets or files.
lsof has more options than a human can easily digest, but I think it is
a simple matter to just ask for the full list, for a given process-id.
You'll be surprised at how many I/O thinks a process uses, but maybe
something in the list will catch your eye, since you among all of us
knows best what it /should/ be using.