tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David Smith <d...@cornell.edu>
Subject Re: not using the port number in the address???
Date Wed, 25 Feb 2009 16:52:25 GMT
Mihamina Rakotomandimby (R12y) wrote:
> David Smith wrote:
>> Since you haven't let us know anything about your server setup, we can
>> only suggest very general things.  Port 80 is the well known port for
>> HTTP protocol and the one your browser assumes when you don't type it in
>> the address bar.
>
> By the way, someone playing with Tomcat should know that... that's the
> basis.
> Dont misunderstand me, I dont say he's dumb: I just wonder how could
> someone be in that situation (messing with web server setup and not
> knowing such basical theory).

As Rusty said -- sometimes you just get dropped in the deep end.  The OP
may be an excellent IT professional that's never been asked to work with
web servers before.  I've worked at a couple of startups where I've been
asked to work with stuff I've never seen before.  Google, Wikipedia, and
lists like this one are great for getting up to speed fast.

--David