tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David Smith <>
Subject Re: not using the port number in the address???
Date Wed, 25 Feb 2009 16:52:25 GMT
Mihamina Rakotomandimby (R12y) wrote:
> David Smith wrote:
>> Since you haven't let us know anything about your server setup, we can
>> only suggest very general things.  Port 80 is the well known port for
>> HTTP protocol and the one your browser assumes when you don't type it in
>> the address bar.
> By the way, someone playing with Tomcat should know that... that's the
> basis.
> Dont misunderstand me, I dont say he's dumb: I just wonder how could
> someone be in that situation (messing with web server setup and not
> knowing such basical theory).
As Rusty said -- sometimes you just get dropped in the deep end.  The OP
may be an excellent IT professional that's never been asked to work with
web servers before.  I've worked at a couple of startups where I've been
asked to work with stuff I've never seen before.  Google, Wikipedia, and
lists like this one are great for getting up to speed fast.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message