tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Alan Chaney <a...@compulsivecreative.com>
Subject Re: J2EE on Mac
Date Mon, 23 Feb 2009 15:42:11 GMT

Caldarale, Charles R wrote:

> That was already specified: the OP wants to compile servlets; nothing beyond a JDK is
needed.

>  - Chuck
Everything said about J2EE, classpaths etc is perfectly correct.

However, the other thing the OP said was that they want to use Eclipse
on a Mac. To build web applications with eclipse the best thing to do is
to install the appropriate web development add-ons - we use the Web
Standard Tools (WST) options.

This is best installed using the software updates option within Eclipse.
After having done that and configured a local tomcat installation as a
'Server' within Eclipse you are, as they say, "good to go" and all you
need to do is to select a new Dynamic Web Project when creating a new
project.

Eclipse then takes care of all the library and classpath issues.

There is no need to download or install anything other than a binary
tomcat, eclipse and then, within that, eclipse WST (or the combined
package in the first place.)

Let me just add that the above is an abridged summary to try to get the
OP on the right path, not to start a long flame about the advantages and
disadvantages of eclipse!

Regards

Alan Chaney