tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: How to close open connections after application stop?
Date Sun, 22 Feb 2009 14:38:20 GMT
Edoardo Panfili wrote:
> Hy,
>
> I have one webapp in Tomcat 6.0.18 with this context:
>
> <Context path="/myApp" docBase="myApp" debug="100" reloadable="true">
>   <Resource name="jdbc/myApp" auth="Container"
>       type="javax.sql.DataSource"
>       maxActive="8" maxIdle="5" maxWait="300"
>       username="myApp" password="passwd"
>       driverClassName="org.postgresql.Driver"
>       url="jdbc:postgresql://127.0.0.1:5432/myApp"
>       removeAbandoned="true"
>       removeAbandonedTimeout="30"
>       logAbandoned="true"
>   />
> </Context>
>
> After application stop (using tomcat manager) I'd like to (drastic
> example) rename the db, but I can't do it because there are open
> connections.
>
> There are no other application using myApp db, but with "ps ax" I can see:
>
> 189   ??  Ss     0:02.67 postgres: myApp myApp 127.0.0.1(49162) idle
>
> Is there a way to close the connection without closing Toncat?

Hmm. If you were managing your own pool then you could call close() on
the pool.

Arguably, if Tomcat creates an context level pool, Tomcat should close
it when the context stops but I don't think it does. That probably calls
for some testing to check behaviour and possibly an enhancement request.

Can you close the connections from the database management tools?

Mark